Thursday, July 2, 2009

7.


Number 7. Notice people's attitude such as how people think about time, personal space, how to treat foreigners, or just general notions of what is right and what is wrong. Pay attention to how people respond to inappropriate behavior. Note what clues you use to figure out the attitudes of the people in the new place.

Since I have been in England I feel a lot is the same as it is back home. The only real difference is when someone is doing something 'inappropriate'. Everyone has different thought of what is and what is not appropriate. But in England it seems that if someone is breaking the rules, or behaving badly not many people will go out of their way to tell the person straight. This is the difference between here and home. In the US I feel if someone was cutting in line or something along those lines a strange would point it out in front of everyone, just to make that person stop. Or maybe not even to make them stop but to tell their opinion about the situation. Here I believe I have seem people wanting to say something but end up keeping their mouth shut. It could be that I am reading their body language wrong but I don't think so, obviously. When a person is staring at you giving you 'the eye', everyone knows that you should stop what you are doing. There are always those people that do not get those nice little looks. So then the annoyed person starts to cough a little. This is the closest I have seen someone here say something to someone who is behaving badly. I think that people back at home feel that they do not have the time to be annoyed with the situation so they just speak their mind. I have always tried to keep an open mind when meeting new people. So when I came over here I tried do keep that thought on top of my brain. I have to say so far it has done me well. I say this because there are just such big ranges of types of people that live over here just like at home. So far I haven't really found one trait that sticks with people. I think about how people do not speak up over here, well I just may have not come across that type of person yet. Lucky me. But I feel the best way to get a true way of hoe people are is to try to blend in. Doing things other peoples way, may make you look at things different. (And with these pictures I'm not trying to say that only old ladies get mad, google just didn't have any good looking angry men, so...try to take it as a compliment (: )

3 comments:

  1. I think you have noticed something very important: when you are in a new place (here or even at home), you won't always get direct feedback about how things are going. Learning to read body language is a great skill. You are such an open and direct person that maybe it could seem odd that such an indirect thing should be necessary, but it is certainly an important skill so that you can be able to accommodate all these different kinds of people you are referring to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauren, I am glad you are not driving! love mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. hello... hapi blogging... have a nice day! just visiting here....

    ReplyDelete