Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Numebr 7.

7. Notice what is being taught in your classes. Pay attention to what you are learning in class and how it relates to daily life or daily practices. Note how your learning is different during study abroad compared to learning in the classroom at home. Now this question I feel relates to me the best, besides my toilet issues. Before I even hit college, I knew I would go into something in the sciences or health field. Or art, if I ever could make money off of it which would never happen. One major reason I did this was because I could NOT stand English, literature or history classes. I just found them so boring. So when I first signed up for the study abroad, I signed up for the water color class. But then that got canceled, so it was either not go or take the literature class. So I figure for my major I will have to take a literature course soon enough. So I was thinking...why not? I should just get it done and over with. And plus if Im studying abroad maybe that will make it tolerable for me. And boy was I right. Who knew that I, Lauren Scheper, would actually LIKE a book like Wuthering Heights?! I didnt know it was possible. Im not to sure if it is because Im actually over here in Europe or if its because the people im with or just both. Im pretty sure it is mostly both. Being over here in this beautiful manor really puts a person in the mindset to learn about all the forms of art. Literature included. Also the people I am with do help out a lot. My Professor is like a walking Wikipedia (but one with only the RIGHT facts, if that is possible). So how could any moment be considered dull? To add to that, there are two other teachers in the group. Josie is a high school English teacher, and she is always looking to teach with a twist. Sometimes it is nice cause she tries it out on us I feel. More so me because most of the time I am the one lost. But then it gets all figured out. The second teacher is Christy. She is a second grade teacher and I feel she understand my mind a little more. Not saying that I have a second-grade mind level but more like, she can break things down so anyone (a second grader) could understand it. Then there is everyone else, another two teachers in trying, a soon to be social worker/lawyer and then the art-machine. The last group of people just all join in and give opinions and sometimes, the way a person puts an idea I automatically get. And sometimes it goes right over my head. With all these people I feel like Im learning about how you can take a book and look at the text a million different ways. Some people see it one way and some see it other ways, which is completely fine. But then when we are learning about the literature and going to these different places, Im learning some history as well. And since I am actually at the place, it grabs my attention better, and it seems that I understand it better. Rather than just looking at pictures in a book. So now that I have all this new information it seems like my brain is kind of buzzing with information and now I am finding myself questioning things more. And forcing myself to try and look at everything in more than one view. We have even looked at some old art work. And even though I am used to looking at art work, Im trying to combined the meaning I see there and the history and literature I have been shown.

5 comments:

  1. YOUR SYNAPSES ARE REALLY FIRING! GOOD JOB, LAUREN!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauren--you really do get it! You make brilliant comments even though you don't always realize how brilliant they are immediately. You definitely seem more confident now after a few days of getting comfortable with the literature and theory--you hit it right on the head when you said you can look at at text in many ways. NEVER forget that--and never let anyone tell you that you are wrong (unless you have nothing whatsoever to back yourself up--but you always do, so just forget that!). So glad you are here and starting to like classic books :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're doing great, Lauren! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. lauren, I am so glad you are enjoying your experiences and learning from every aspect available. But, I don't think your head will explode with knowledge! Love mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your insights that you write about in your other blog postings show very clearly how you are more than just "getting an English requirement out of the way". I enjoy reading your thoughts on the topics we are studying, and I think that this learning style where you just jump in might be one that works really well for you.

    ReplyDelete