Thursday, June 25, 2009

Site Visit: Sherwood Forest


Sherwood Forest: Describe the museum, the gift shop, and the forest. Compare these places with your imagination of the setting in the stories you read. Explain what the museum emphasize about the character, what the gift shop interprets as important in the stories, and how bring in the forest affects your impression of the stories and characters.

When I got to Sherwood Forest parts of it were almost exactly as I thought they would be. The forest was almost like it was cut right out of the book, or the other way around. The main thing that caught my eye was the color of the forest. People are probably like, grass and trees are green, what is the difference? But there was something about this forest that was MORE green than back at home. Also, the sea of ferns added to the comfort of this forest. I loved how there were these huge Oak trees everywhere. The branches of the trees grew at such a weird angle also. The gift shop was just like any other gift shop I thought. Only selling the main thing that brings the big groups of people in. In this case it was Robin Hood and his stories. Everywhere I looked all I saw was green costumes, bow and arrows and feathers. Now what did surprise me was the museum. The museum focused on the story and history of Robin Hood. it gave all the background of the little town at that time. The museum was also covered from floor to ceiling in decorations, making me feel like I was in the forest.

3 comments:

  1. Great photos of Sherwood, Lauren! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauren, you were definitely in your element in the forest...did you bring your frizbee? I could see you running and dancing about and taking it all in. Love mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you characterize the various greens of the forest, and you make a great point about how the museum focuses on the historical "reality" of Robin Hood. My remaining question is how does this affect your reading of the stories now that you have visited Sherwood Forest?

    ReplyDelete